Friday, April 30, 2010

An Update, of sorts

So, it's now approximately 5 months since my last post and not much has changed. I've been playing here and there, doing some Arena and grinding out some BG's. Season 8 started (Wrathful!) and some friends and I pounded our way to almost 2300 as Arms/Protret/Resto. My Resto Druid got his 2200 rating Main Hand weapon and I'm almost full Wrathful. I would have been full Wrathful by now if I hadn't taken 2 weeks to snowboard in the Austrian Alps, but sadly, I had to take one for the team and hit the slopes.

Since then, my Protret pally buddy quit for good and has made me promise to him to not regale him with stories of WoW so he'd be tempted to come back. Warrior buddy and I have been getting 10 games in a week with a Warlock we know. I've reduced my play time significantly, mostly out of boredom, but also because there isn't much to look forward to. I suppose I could try to push ratings, but gaming time isn't something that's abundant right now. In another sense, I feel accomplished. Getting the 2200 rating weapon is somewhat of an achievement in of itself. Alot of players cant break 2k, let alone 1800, so I'm somewhat satiated. Yes, I'm not a Gladiator, or even a Duelist, but perhaps I'm not meant to be. I notice that I make a ton of mistakes all the time in matches: Poor positioning, poor cc, poor prehotting.. yet it doesn't bother me as much since I know I have the goods to get past 2200.

So what of Cataclysm and beyond? I'll probably give Cataclysm a shot. I've been really enjoying playing as a Boomkin in BG's, even in nearly full Resto gear and I think I could enjoy rated BG's where people are actually trying. The Mushroom talent sounds like fun and the positional Silence seems like fun as well. With regards to the rest of the talents and abilities that will come with the expansion, I'll wait until I see them (if I make it that far) to comment on them.

The one thing I'd like to see is a Battleground that doesn't have any primary or secondary objectives other than killing the opposing team. Make it a sizeable map like AB or EOTS with LOS objects and elevation objects and allow unlimited respawns. Dying in the Arena is such a heavy penalty for your team (near guaranteed loss) that there really needs to be an 'Arena lite' where the responsibility of dying isn't as great. Allow for a respawn and maybe a comeback. Allow for swings in map dominance. Allow for regrouping and strategic decisions. Penalize people who have died with respawns with 1/4 mana so that they can't run back, blow cooldowns and turn the tide that easily.

Yeah, it's not an original idea, but in a way, it's the opportunity to come back from a disadvantage that makes an FPS fun for me.

Just sayin'

No comments: